Friday 6 May 2011

Cinco de Mayo

by j. scott sly

When did we stop seeing you as a person?
Screaming loud in the huge empty house,
what is it that you want?
We asked, but we didn’t listen;
instead we asked ourselves what we wanted.
We talked, and talked, and talked, and talked,
but still no meaning was passed.
We were afraid to ask,
Why now? Why today?

I added another accomplishment to my list today,
yet, in doing so,
I left something blank.

Now I picture you, cold and alone.
Your stomach cramps and quivers.
Staring at the walls.
Why now? Why today?
The comforting words of the well-trained nurses help,
but their niceties are condescending; enough.

Victory! She hailed, but no victory was felt.
Return me to my clime.
The warm sun and the dry earth.
In my return, I may ask,
when did they stop seeing me as a person?

No comments:

Post a Comment